Monday, November 8, 2010

Vacation!

We got to take a little vacation to DC for a few days! Brielle snoozed through most of it in her stroller. At least we took photographic proof that she visited these places!

First, we went to the temple, taking turns with Brielle outside. We did initiatories, walked around the grounds, visited the Packs in the Visitors Center and took pretty pictures!


Beautiful leaves at the temple


Beautiful Brielle at the temple

The next day we went to the National Zoo. It was a beautiful day!
Since it was the week of Halloween lots of the animals were enjoying pumpkins and there were Halloween decorations all over the zoo.




We had some time to look at some of the monuments too.





Later that evening we went to dinner with my cousin and her family, whom we were staying with during our vacation. It was yummy Panera....especially my lobster sandwich which I didn't realize till later cost about a third of our total bill for 7 people! Whoops.

The next day was for museums! First the Natural History museum

A sphere onto which a video about earth's water was projected. I didn't know you could project onto a ball! The little rubber duckys on the water help demonstrate the flow of the ocean currents.

The mammals exhibit was fun. Brielle liked the giraffe. We learned that a mammal is distinguished by three things: body hair, mother's milk, and certain bones of the middle ear. I didn't know that!

Brandon's favorite dinosaur. We also saw an insect in amber and learned that DNA is not preserved in fossilized amber. Too bad, Jurassic Park.

The Hope Diamond!

A cool sandstone formation...art by mother nature. (click to enlarge!)

A view of the Capitol building as we head across the Mall to more museums. They were setting up for the Colbert/Stewart "rally to restore sanity and/or fear"

We popped into the National Museum of the American Indian for yummy native foods!

And then our last stop was the Air and Space Museum. Really cool exhibits on flight, astronomy, airplanes, rockets, and Space!!

There's still lots more to see in DC, but we'll just have to see bits at a time while we're living here. It was nice to spend time together as a family and relax a bit. Yay for vacation!

6 comments:

Darrell & Carol Peterson said...

Wow! What incredible colors of leaves in that first photo! Looks like you had gorgeous weather for your vacation and your own little travel "gnome" to take pictures of enjoying the sites! Brielle is so sweet in all her cameos. Brielle went to Washington and and conquered it with her unflappable demeanor (otherwise known as nap time). love, mom and dad p

Darrell & Carol Peterson said...

We think your photographer deserves lots of credit too! and of course he had 2 lovely girls to take pictures of--can't go wrong there!! loved the zoo photos too and that Brandon got to see his favorite dinosaur--Go stegosaurus!!
love, mom p

Heather Dayton said...

I LOVE the pictures of Brielle sleeping in front-haha! She is so cute. I'm glad you guys got a little bit of vacation time together. I randomly knew that fact about the mammals and the bones of the middle ear...maybe because my dad's an Ear specialist-haha!

Chad and Nicole said...

What great pictures! I love the one of Brielle in front of the temple! Looks like you guys had a great time!

Sean and Jennie said...

I agree that the colors look so pretty! It looks like you had a ton of fun! I never thought about having to separate to go to the Temple, I guess lots of things change when you have babies:)

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Looks like so much fun-we LOVE D.C.! We got your baby birth announcement today and it's adorable. Thanks for thinking of us.