This stalactite formation is called the Manhattan skyline. There's a reflecting pool directly below, so when you look into the water, it looks like you're viewing a city of skyscrapers from above. Pretty cool!
This one's called the Sunflower. The blossom is what's called a "shield" formation, but the way it turned out, plus that there's a "stem" coming down from it really makes it look like a flower!
Wavy formations on the ceiling!
One of the "angel wing" formations...there are quite a few.
It's amazing how much beauty is all around us, we only need to see and appreciate it!
Yesterday for the day off, we went up to the temple. We had some time afterwards to go to the Visitor's Center, which is almost as big as the ones in Salt Lake! It has a ton of exhibits, as well as a beautiful exhibit of some sculptures of Christ by Angela Johnson. I guess these ones are the smaller versions, and the larger ones are a garden exhibit. There's also a theater that shows the church movies (currently the Joseph Smith one) and it's actually larger than the one in Salt Lake at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building! We had hoped to see Brandon's former stake president and his wife there, since they are new Visitor Center missionaries, but they were out. We'll have to catch them next time! Before we went home we had Cheesecake Factory for lunch...yum! Going to the temple is an all day event, but so worth it!
In other news, I am now the assistant Relief Society Secretary...I put together the monthly newsletter and I translate our meetings for the Spanish sisters. It's a little tricky since it's been awhile that I spoke Spanish with regularity, but I'm getting better and really liking it!
Brandon finished his first rotation and now is working on the General Medicine service. It is very busy, but he sees lots of different cases and is managing many patients at once. It's a big step from student to intern physician, in that responsibility is multiplied by at least a factor of 10, but he's getting adjusted and hanging in there. I'm so proud of him and all he's able to do at work then come home to be with me and help get our home in order for the arrival of the little one in October. Can't believe it's so soon!
2 comments:
What lovely photos of the cave formations! I loved the sunflower one! It is nice to be to be at home so you can get things done there a lot on your own--I'm so glad you're able to do that now--Brandon says you and Judy are discussing decorating plans for "Little Pumpkin's" room. Sounds like your temple trip made for a great day. =-)
love, carol
Looks like there are many beautiful things in nature to see in VA--hope we have a chance to see some of them on our visit! love, mom p
Post a Comment