Today at work we gathered around my computer and watched the inauguration as we snacked on banana bread. Being in a liberal university setting, most present were very happy about the change upon which the country is embarking. And I myself felt a certain thrill as well. Pres. Obama's speech was, well, hopeful as one might expect. Some of my favorite parts:
"...what free men and women can achieve when imagination is joined to common purpose, and necessity to courage."
"We will restore science to its rightful place..."
"We will not apologize for our way of life, nor will we waver in its defense, and for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken; you cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."
The music was beautiful, the national anthem was powerful (only I wish they'd sing all the verses, the last one is especially meaningful), and the emotion was high.
I wish the reverend offering the benediction hadn't started to rhyme....it sounded a little flippant in a prayer to the Almighty....I mean "when the red man can get ahead man" ???
*sigh*
It's an exciting time; I hope all our elected officials can work together to lead the country in a direction that will restore stability, fix problems, and maintain our cherished freedom.
And one more thing:

1 comment:
Love the Brandon/Obama poster! I didn't get to see the inauguration this week because I was working long hours at the hospital this week (3:30 in the morning!) But I plan on seeing it this weekend! And I'm so jealous you won Liz's contest...you lucky duck!
Post a Comment