Monday, February 1, 2010

Monday thoughts

Here are some thoughts running through my head as I take a lunch break from my writing/data compilation. Maybe by writing them down I can get back to concentrating!

  • There are at least 7 pregnant women in our ward (maybe more?), and 2 newborn babies, then a former coworker, and my sister-in-law are also pregnant. What causes this? Is it just a reflection of my sample size and demographic? Or is something more sinister at hand.....
  • While looking at the Cake Wrecks blog I laughed so hard I was crying.....for like 5 minutes!
  • A mysterious key has appeared in my purse. It looks like a house key and has a patriotic design all over it. To whom does it belong? How and why did it get into my purse? What purpose does it serve and why is it sporting an image of a bald eagle in front of the stars and stripes? This sounds like a good theme for a short story. I'm too lazy to write it though, so I'll offer up my admiration and some peanut butter M&M's to anyone who writes the best story.
  • Various situations of loved ones, pets of friends, and random bloggers I don't even know have brought death and suffering to the front of my mind. In fact, the stray kitty that hung around our four-plex recently had to be put down because of an inoperable and painful case of gingivitis. Who knew that even happened to cats?! Poor Spot, he was a good cat, even though he did try to get inside the house and would hop in the trunk or the car if you left the doors open too long. I'm glad that whenever I start to dwell on all the sadness such circumstances can bring, I can be pulled back to a hopeful existence because of the Atonement and Resurrection of Christ. And it's a hope based on truth, so it's not just wishful thinking. That is so awesome!
  • A sister in our ward just got her Patriarchal Blessing. Very cool!
  • Tech support people don't get thanked enough for what they do. I must call them at least once a week, and I think, "wow, these are research technicians that could probably be doing what I'm doing but they're answering the phone to help me with this assay instead"
  • There is a canned pumpkin shortage in Albuquerque. So far 3 stores, and no pumpkin. Granted, one store had a LARGE can but it was so expensive! and slightly dented, so I didn't get it. I will continue my search today after work, so I can make that delicious Great Harvest Pumpkin bread (thanks Shanna and Lisa!) for a bake sale tomorrow.
  • We've started a quote book. One of the entries-- Michal: "Hey isn't that Charlie Sheen?" Brandon: "No Michal, that's a terrorist."
  • Someday I want to finish my mission scrapbook. Perhaps I'll start our wedding scrapbook someday too, but I can't make promises.
  • The other day one of the Young Women asked me (via text) "are you really 25?" I respond "Pretty close....28 :)" then I realized that I'm not 28 yet! she must think I'm a total ditz once I explained to her that I'm still 27 but I couldn't remember my own age.
  • We found out there's going to be a "Medicine Ball" this spring! I'm so excited!
  • Okay now I'm just trying to think of things to post, so I guess I'll stop.

Hope everyone has a more productive Monday than I!

4 comments:

Sean and Jennie said...

This is very funny and sounds an awful lot like the inside of my head. There are approximately 3,615 pregnant women in our ward (a funny number considering there are only about 600 people in the ward) have a great day:)

Deborah said...

I've never been good at remembering my age. Probably because 10 was such a traumatic age for me. Double digits and they only go up.

J and L said...

I love this post!! This happens to me all the time, except usually around 2 or 3am after Tyler has woken me up and then I can't get back to sleep.
And the age thing... totally happened to me YESTERDAY. Maybe its just my subconsious trying to put off the big 3-0, but I seriously was thinking it was another year away! Alas, 1.5 months and counting...

BRANDON AND NICOLE said...

Okay, that was a fun Monday look inside your head! That's totally happened to me, and it sounds like others, about the age thing. And about the pumpkin pie filling-all I can say is that it's non-existent in Montreal! Seriously! Well, unless you want to pay $5.00 for a can. Hmmm. Miss you guys, fun to read your blog!