Saturday, September 6, 2008

August Update

Well it's been awhile since we posted, but that just makes this post all the more special right?? This month Brandon finished his Internal Medicine rotation and passed the practical exam and feels really good about the written exam (though they still haven't posted the grades). Now he's started four weeks of gynecology at the Lovelace Women's hospital. We're getting more used to waking up before 5 AM so he can get there early enough to pre-round on his patients. One day when he was at the hospital on the weekend, I decided to do a little home improvement by myself:
Me with my tools...ready to work!
Before: Our bedroom window with blinds that don't close very well. Very bare and boring.
Hmmm...looks like I need more dangly hypo-allergenic earrings!

Halfway through...new curtain rod installed all by myself!

The finished rod

After: With our new dark curtains to match the bed.

Now it'll be plenty dark so Brandon can sleep during the days during his week of night shift at Labor and Delivery!

I spent much of August preparing for my comprehensive exam. My written proposal turned out pretty good and after my presentation, my committee passed me with distinction! Phew! Glad that's over!
Summer has brought a lot of changes to our ward. Several families have been moving out and more are moving in. It's sad to see old friends go, but we're excited to get to know the new folks too. Yesterday I found out my secretary and her family are moving. Primary will definitely not be the same without them!
I've also started teaching violin lessons to one of the girls in Primary. Her first teacher moved away, so we're picking up with Twinkle variations, Lightly Row, and French Folk Song. It's pretty fun, but sometimes I just don't know what to say to get my point across so she really understands. Hopefully it'll be a worthwhile experience for all of us.
I think that catches us up now....I can hardly believe it's already September!


4 comments:

Kristi Sue Fulton said...

Oh the busy in your life!! Continued good luck in school to both of you. And many good thoughts going your way for your home improvement project!

By the way, I totally love your jewelry stand. That is so cute, where did you get it?

Julie said...

nice work on the curtain rod! good to see what you are up to.

Jessica said...

Hey! Good for you working with the tools. I've done a little bit of home improvement lately as well and have found it quite empowering. However, I still let Evan do most of it :)

Mary Ann said...

Michal! I saw your comment on Liz's blog...and I'm totally blogstalking you, but I wanted to say HI! You and Brandon are so cute together!